Aaaah, Autumn my favourite time of the year – what’s there not to love? The crisp air, the bonfires, stunning scenery, and most importantly, the very tasty food! It’s pretty much around this time that I start my gradual yearly weight gain that I vow to then shed on January 2nd (which never really happens).
So on that note, here is my very tasty Banana-Apple bread. My inspiration for this recipe comes from my mother-in-law, who made a fantastic apple cake over the weekend. It was the perfect coffee cake – not too rich, very soft and delicate, with a touch of cinnamon. Autumn in a slice if you ask me!
But seeing as I like to change things up a bit, I decided to added a few bananas to the recipe, as banana bread is up there as my favourite comfort food – hands down!
- 285 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 75 grams light brown sugar
- 2 medium egg
- 85 mls buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 bananas, very ripe
- 1 large apple, peeled & grated
- 1. First of all preheat your oven to 180C. Sift all the key dry ingredients - the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- 2. Beat the sugars and softened butter for about 5 mins, until soft and fluffy. Make sure that the butter is softened to room temperature. If the butter is still to cool, it won't blend very easily with the sugars. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla extract. At this point, the mixture will start to thicken, which is the perfect time to stir in the butter milk.
- 3. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and to this add, the grated apple.
- 4. Add the bananas and grated apple to the wet ingredients until well blended.
- 5. Lastly, add the dry ingredients, and with a spatula or wooden spoon gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- 6. Pour the final mixture into a greased loaf tin, and place in the middle of the oven to bake. Baking time ranges between 50 minutes to an hour. Best to check how the loaf is doing after 50 minutes. If a toothpick can be inserted in the middle of the loaf, and come out clean, then the loaf is done.
- 7. Allow the banana-apple bread to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.